International Justice Mission Hong Kong and its affiliates (“we”, “us”, “our”, “IJM”) is committed to protecting your personal information.
1. Contact information of the data controller
2. Collection and use of Personal Information
Collection and use of personal information in connection with your donations and any services provided to you by IJM Global Team.
Information Collected and Purpose of processing
i) Processing is based on your consent
Only if you provide us your consent (which is revocable at any time), we process personal information from you for marketing purposes or more, or to facilitate your participation in IJM events or activities in which you voluntarily engage. We may not use such personal information for marketing purposes unless you have given your consent.
ii) Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract
In order to communicate with you and for the performance of our contractual obligations to you (for example, to process your donation, issue receipts, and otherwise provide services to you or support your relationship with IJM), it is necessary that we collect the following personal information from you:
- Contact information such as name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number
- Billing Information such as credit card number and billing address
- Additional information as needed to support your relationship with IJM, such as minimum age or DOB (to ensure age-appropriate content).
iii) Complying with a legal obligation
In certain circumstances we are obliged to process personal data from you due to a legal obligation, such as anti-corruption stipulations or statutory retention periods.
iv) Legitimate interest in transmitting personal data
We primarily rely on the legitimate interest of the IJM Global Team to provide constituents with desired information about IJM and its work worldwide. Where we process your personal information on the basis of legitimate interests, including sharing of your personal information within the IJM Global Team or with third party processors for such purpose, we do so primarily to provide and improve constituent services and provide constituents a service which is suitable to their requirements. We may use your information to improve and customize our constituent services, and as necessary to pursue our legitimate interests of improving our constituent services and experience; understanding how constituents engage with the IJM Global Team, communicating with constituents in appropriately customized ways, and exploring ways to better engage current and future constituents in the mission of IJM. We may also process your information for our legitimate interest in providing age-appropriate content for children; supporting tax recovery; and maintaining the safety and security of our constituent services, including enhancing protection against spam, harassment, intellectual property infringement, crime, and security risks of all kind. We may further process personal information of constituents who attend in-person events or trips for our legitimate interest in providing for the safety and security of all event attendees. The IJM Global Team has a further legitimate interest in processing your personal information as follows:
- We may exchange personal data within IJM’s international affiliate offices for the legitimate interests described above, as well as for administrative purposes.
- We may also process personal data from you in order to defend legal claims.
Additionally, we may collect the following personal information from third party sources, including from public sources:
- Marketing information such as additional forms of contact, indicators or flags used for segmentation purposes.
- Demographic information, including census data or third party research for segmentation purposes.
Surveys or Contests
From time-to-time we may provide you the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our website or elsewhere. If you participate, we will request certain personal information from you. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as DOB).
Collection and use of Personal Information in connection with your use of our website
Informational use of our website
If you do not register with us or otherwise provide us with personal information, we only process the personal information that your browser transmits to our server. This includes your IP address, date and time of the request, time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), content of the request (specific page), the access status/HTTP status code, the amount of data transferred in each case, website from which the request comes, browser, operating system and its surface, language and version of the browser software. This processing is technically necessary for us to display our website to you and to ensure the stability and security of the website.
If you reject cookies, you may still use our site, but your ability to use some areas of our site, such as contests or surveys, will be limited.
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by IJM and our partners [e.g. marketing partners], affiliates, or analytics or service providers [e.g. online customer support provider]. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML 5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs.
Links to Other Websites
Social Media Widgets
1. We currently use the following social media plug-ins:
2. We have no influence on the data collected and data processing processes, nor are we aware of the full extent of data collection, the purposes of processing, the storage periods. We also have no information on the deletion of the data collected by the plug-in provider.
3. The plug-in provider stores the data collected about you as user profiles and uses these for the purposes of advertising, market research and/or demand-oriented design of its website. Such an evaluation takes place in particular (also for not logged in users) for the representation of demand-fair advertisement and in order to inform other users of the social network about your activities on our website. You have a right of objection to the creation of these user profiles, whereby you must contact the respective plug-in provider to exercise this right. Through the plug-ins we offer you the possibility to interact with social networks and other users, so that we can improve our offer and make it more interesting for you as a user.
4. The data is passed on regardless of whether you have an account with the plug-in provider and are logged in there. If you are logged in with the plug-in provider, your data collected with us will be directly assigned to your existing account with the plug-in provider. If you click the activated button and, for example, link the page, the plug-in provider also stores this information in your user account and shares it publicly with your contacts. We recommend that you log out regularly after using a social network, especially before activating the button, as this way you can avoid being assigned to your profile with the plug-in provider.
5. Further information on the purpose and scope of data collection and its processing by the plug-in provider can be found in the data protection declarations of these providers notified below. They will also provide you with further information about your rights in this regard and setting options to protect your privacy.
Meta Platforms, Inc. : http://www.facebook.com/policy.php
3. Recipients of your Personal Information
- IT service providers
- Companies that assist with customer service, shipping, or event registration
- Companies that provide other services to support our relationship with you
- Companies that provide demographic and market research assistance
In addition, any office within the IJM Global team may share personal information you provide it to the International Justice Mission headquarters (“IJM Global”) office in the United States, or another member of the IJM Global Team, so that the receiving IJM office may engage with users located in their country and as otherwise necessary to manage the provision of suitable services to constituents as appropriate for their needs.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- as required by law such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request; or
- with your prior consent to do so.
4. General information and your rights
Where you have provided your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information. For example, you may choose to stop receiving all or certain types of communication by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us through the contact channel stated below. You can further request that your personal information be deleted, except for information that we are required to retain. This deletion is permanent.
Correcting, Deleting and Updating Your Personal Data
To review and update or delete your personal information, please contact us through the contact channel stated below. We will respond to your request to access within 10 working days.
We may post customer testimonials/comments/reviews on our website which may contain personal information. We do obtain the customer’s consent via email prior to posting the testimonial to post their name along with their testimonial. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us through the contact channel stated below. The legal basis for that processing can be found in Section 2(iv) above.
We will retain your information for as long as needed to provide you services. If you wish to request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact us through the contact channel stated below. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our website, you can contact us through the contact channel stated below. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
The personal information collected when you make a contribution or purchase items by credit card is kept for the purposes of tracking your order and to provide a receipt of the transaction. This information is stored on an encrypted, secure server managed by a third-party commercial credit card processing institution.
Your rights in respect of your Personal Data
You have the right of access, rectification, erasure, restriction of processing and the right to data portability. In addition, you have the right to object to processing. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy supervisory authority.
If you have given us your consent to process personal data for specific purposes, this consent is the legal basis for processing your personal data. Consent can be revoked at any time without affecting the legality of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent until revocation. The revocation can take place form-free and should be directed if possible to the contact information provided in this policy.
Sarah Yeung, Senior Lead, Strategic Partnerships, IJM Hong Kong
Email: [email protected]
Address: P.O. Box 33086, Sheung Wan Post Office, Hong Kong